Friday, July 9, 2010

YAAD Blog 2

I had written this blog entry yesterday-July 8, 2010, but was unable to post it due to the late night we spent in plenary, and then a YAAD worship service till 1am! So here it is now!

Hello everyone! Greetings from Minnesota! This is an update from your young adult advisory delegate-Julianne Miller. I have now been in Minneapolis for a full week, and I must say not only have I fallen in love with this city, I have made incredible friends, and become even stronger in my faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Minneapolis is a beautiful city. Every time I walk up Nicolette Mall I feel the excitement of the city around me. Yet, it is not like the excitement felt in Chicago or New York. There are nowhere near as many cars or angry cab drivers here as in other cities I have been to. Minneapolis portrays itself as a young, friendly, clean, fun, and safe city within Minnesota. It is vibrant with life and offers positive portrayals of life in a city as a business man or woman.
I have met a diverse group of people from around the United States all tied to their faith in the Presbyterian Church. What has amazed me the most is the way the YAADs are not afraid to share their beliefs with each other or with commissioners. YAADs don’t hold back when it comes to defending Christ’s church.
A few hours ago we took a difficult vote on the ordination standards concerning lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals. Feeling the pressure and tension in the room, four of my fellow YAADs and I gathered in the back of the room for a group prayer before the vote. This is just one example of the power of prayer that has overtaken the young adults at this assembly.
We all feel the need to keep the church united, to do the will of God, yet we are lost. We are looking for God’s guidance and are still not sure of his answer. The vote on the issue of approving the majority report was 54% approval and 46% disapproval. If that doesn’t show how divided our church is on tough issues like LGBT, I don’t know what does. I wish it were simple, but it’s not. The answers to the difficult questions we ask are unclear. I continually remind myself to have an open mind and heart when listening to either side of tough issues such as the LGBT ordination issue or the topic of civil unions and marriage, yet it is so hard to disperse pre-conceived notions on a topic. Despite these emotionally draining issues, I know God’s grace will overcome the differences of those in the church.
As we sit in plenary tonight I say a little prayer for the five of us sitting here representing the Presbytery of Wabash Valley. I pray for God’s wisdom to guide us through these challenging decisions, and for his grace to fill our hearts and minds with the love and comfort that we are the Presbyterian Church USA; our faith in him ties us together, united as one in Christ’s love.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve as your Young Adult Advisory Delegate !
God Bless!
Julianne Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment