Friday, July 9, 2010

Caffeine!! I need caffeine!

Getting going on the 6th day of GA had my rethinking my decision to not drink caffeinated beverages, because a Dr. Pepper or Diet Coke sounded really good this morning (but I did not give in to the temptation).

Today was a day with many hot button issues on the docket (agenda), so here are my brief (I hope) views on some of the big actions of the day:

  • Passed – Item 04-06 “On Appointing a General Assembly Commission on Middle Governing Bodies – COGA.” – after significant amending the GA created a “commission” to act on its behalf to work with, study (including the questions from the Overture 04-05 that our presbytery concurred with) and (as needed and when invited) to make changes to middle governing bodies (presbyteries and synods). There seemed to be among some commissioners a significant amount of fear and possibly suspicion of what the GA is trying to do. And, I made my first (and possibly only statement) from the floor during the debate when I asked a question (and brief follow-up) on the impact of a proposed amendment . . . I hope that the butterflies bouncing around in my stomach were not too obvious.
  • Passed – Item 06-09 “On Amending G-6.0106b.” – there was a lot of debate on this item. And, after serving on this committee earlier in the week (see earlier posts here, here, and here) there were several times that I just wanted to scream that what was being said is not what the committee is recommending (my apologies to Jill and the other Bill for having to listen to me during the 1 ½ hours plus of debate). In the end after much debate and discussion the item passed: 53% – yes; 46% – no; 1% – abstaining.
  • Passed – Item 11-11 “Commissioners’ Resolution. Regarding a Call to Stand with Immigrant Presbyterians in Their Hour of Need.” – after significant discussion and debate the GA voted to call for among other things for the PC(USA) to “Refrain from holding national meetings” in locations with laws similar to the “Arizona Law” on immigration. An interesting question asked, what happens if Pennsylvania passes a similar law in the next year since the 220th GA is in Pittsburgh?
  • Passed – Item 12-12 “The Final Report of the Special Committee to Study Issues of Civil Union and Christian Marriage to the 219th General Assembly (2010) Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).” The report passed and will be commended to the presbyteries for study (with the minority report to also be commended for study). Interestingly, with a single motion this report became the final answer for all the other items on marriage. The amazing thing is how fast the action went and it will be interesting to see if there is a motion to reconsider tomorrow morning when things sink in.

After being ahead or even on the docket for most of the last two days, we had such long discussions on several issues today that we had to “arrest” consideration and move on to other items to keep things moving a couple of times. Which meant I spent most of the day at my desk and it was a late evening before we finally “caught up” & finished the docket for today. Though I did get to eat a delicious lunch at Salsa a la Salsa restaurant and dinner with the Presbytery at The Melting Pot.

PS – As the day went on, the need for caffeine returned several times and while not giving in to the call for a Diet Coke or Dr. Pepper, I did enjoy chocolate (Linda – thank you, thank you, thank you for the snacks!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment